At a recent conference entitled "Cybersecurity for CFOs," cybersecurity experts shared a number of facts about cyber risks.
Because every employee uses the internet, they create exposure for their organization. Employees cause 53 percent of all data breaches.
Of all breaches, 93 percent involved some form of phishing. Research shows that 78 percent of employees will not click on a phishing email, leaving 22 percent who might.
Crimeware is a new trend in phishing attacks. Now, using crimeware, cybercriminals can create mass spam messages, including phishing emails, from their smartphones.
Small- to medium-size organizations are especially at risk. Cybercriminals target them in more than 50 percent of cyberattacks, and 75 percent of smaller organizations do not have cybersecurity insurance.
Often, hackers will target these organizations in order to access big corporations. They may breach a smaller organization and then wait months for a merger or other opportunity to use their access to target a bigger fish. For example, cybercriminals breached Target, Marriott, Chili's, and Under Armour by hacking their third-party vendors.
Recovering 5,000 records following a data breach can cost nearly $1.1 million. Sixty percent of organizations that are hacked will go out of business. Rebecca J. Barnabi "Winning the cyber war: Data breaches may be one of the biggest threats of the 21st century" dailyprogress.com (Apr. 05, 2019).